Re: External links in XHTML 1.1

Simon Jessey wrote:
> Since target="_blank" isn't valid, what is the recommended method for
> dealing with external links on a site authored in XHTML 1.1? Until now, I
> haven't found a need to differentiate between internal and external links,
> but I am now being asked to do so. Is going back to a previous version of
> HTML the only recourse?

Yes, unless you want to go the onclick="window.open(...)" way (you don't).

Ideally, you would convince the person asking you to do so that it
should be left to the user to control their windows -- it's not the
content's business which windows I want to view it in. You don't see PNG
images forcing your image viewer to open new windows either.

/Jonas