Re: HTML to XHTML translator

From: Jesus Arias Fisteus <jaf@it.uc3m.es>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:10:50 +0100 (CET)
To: Vix <vixcc@yahoo.com>, <www-html@w3.org>

> I don't think that you MUST convert style information into a CSS file.
> In case you did, I would rather give this as an option (not as a default setting).

I agree. It is what I had in mind.

> I can understand this :)
> I can actually see how much time you spent on this compared to the time you spent on the
> translator engine itself :)

And it is the most ugly code in the program!

> I tested it on an XHTML 1.0 Strict file.
> The tool is very useful but does not generate valid HTML from a valid XHTML document.
> I can see many reasons for it not to do so but I just thought it would be helpful to share what I
> learned about it.

The program is not intended to work with XHTML at input, but it is not
protected against this problem. Was the validation problem something
like a duplicated xmlns attribute in html element? If not, please mail
to me the input document you tried. It could be useful for me. I'm going
to work in this problem.

> In any case, please ask your supervisor for open source distribution. This way, the open-source
> community can help and get the tool better and better.

I'm going to ask her. And I need to document it better before distribute
it (it is only documented in spanish now).

Thanks for your comments,

Jesús