Re: Copying HTML

From: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 22:39:45 -0500
To: www-html@w3.org

Daniel Glazman wrote:

> fantasai wrote:
>>
>> Daniel Glazman wrote:
>> > copy and paste preserving the style.
>>
>> Such logic would only make sense if you try use HTML as the back
>> end format of a full-featured word processor instead of a full-
>> featured markup editor.
>
> Not at all.
> Mozilla Composer and Outlook are not full-featured word processors but
> web content editors and, believe me, they want to copy and paste styles
 > with the content.

Email clients fit into the HTML-as-word-processor-format
category because formatted characters--not hierarchically
marked-up documents--are what their users are looking for.
They use HTML instead of something like MS Word because in
email it's the only alternative to plain text. (BTW, I
wouldn't consider email to be "web" content.)

Do you have any examples of when copying computed style is
needed? I'm rather curious to see why a web page editor would
want something like that. I suppose it would be useful for
copying other people's content verbatim, but most sites don't
do that. They at least try to make it *look* like their own.

~fantasai