Re: XHTML 2.0 considered harmful

From: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 20:32:37 -0500
To: www-html@w3.org

Alexander Savenkov wrote:
> 2003-01-16T00:14:55Z fantasai wrote:
>
>>He means, I think, that once you use an ID or a class to associate
>>style with an element, you cannot re-use that ID or class for a
>>different purpose. Therefore, if I need to color one thing red just
>>once, and I must create a class "special" for to style it, I cannot
>>use "special" for any other purpose. If I instead use a style
>>attribute, "special" is not taken and can be used for other things.
>
> Can't believe my eyes. fantasai is saying that classes cannnot be
> reused.

You misread the paragraph. I never said classes cannot be
reused. I said "you cannot re-use that ID or class for a
different purpose".

Suppose I have a paragraph I need to have green for some
arbitrary reason and I style it with the class "special".
A bit further down I have the description of a box of
pencils selling as "today's special" for a reduced price.
I want to style it so it stands out, but not necessarily
by making it green. I can't use class="special" because
it's taken.

~fantasai