Re[2]: XHTML 2.0 considered harmful

2003-01-15T19:33:49Z Tantek wrote:
>> If you feel that you have to use br or style attribute try to think for
>> a second what's the reason you "need" those. Think about *why* you're
>> trying to achieve the line break or specific styling, not *what* you're
>> trying to achieve.

> If you cannot see the need for the style attribute, it may simply indicate
> that you have not experienced the real world situations where it is
> necessary.

> I think this is in general the problem with the discussion of the 'style'
> attribute.  On one side there are semantic purists
Oh, I guess I'm among those. Still, "semantic purism" is not racial
purism, and there's nothing wrong with the people who finally want to
get ridda stylistic waste. Some of them have been waiting for this
since the early HTML drafts, some dreamed even longer.

> that don't understand
> what the problem is and therefore claim there is no problem, and on the
> other side there are _experienced_ folks that have seen numerous real world
> situations where the style attribute is not only useful, but essential.
On the other side there are experienced folks that have seen numerous
real world situation where other experienced and (perhaps) short-sighted
folks decided that the cool 'style' attribute does a lot of useful
things (no offence and nothing personal).

> These real world situations have been listed in threads in this list, but
> always ignored or belittled.
I'm not asking you to repeat these situations here as there's been
too much buzz around this (and we've seen some of the examples
already). Instead an example of a system that *requires* an
immediate upgrade to XHTML 2 would be highly appreciated.

>>> Your third conclusion is one of esthetics and education. Personally I
>>> find it much easier to think of a line than a line break, and I think
>>
>> And what comes to teaching a document markup language to new people,
>> XHTML2 looks like much simpler as a whole than XHTML1.x.
> Then don't call it XHTML2.  Call it something else, like "SHML" (Simplified
> Hypertext Markkup Language).
Rather Semantic Hypertext Markup Language.

> Tantek
Alex
---
  Alexander "Croll" Savenkov                  http://www.thecroll.com/