Re: XHTML 2.0 considered harmful

Dear diary, on Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 06:13:10PM CET, I got a letter,
where Mikko Rantalainen <mira@cc.jyu.fi> told me, that...

> Daniel Glazman wrote:
> >>
> >>Name one. Just one.
> >
> >copy and paste preserving the style.
>
> You cannot copy and paste *content with the styling information only* if
> the target medium is sematic one, like (X)HTML. Period.
>
> You can copy from XHTML document to something like Illustrator that
> doesn't care about the semantics and just about the style.

Well, now if you will imagine yourself in position of author of WYSIWYG editor
which wants to be able to produce valid XHTML/2.0 and still be able to compete
on the market, probably the only obvious pragmatic solution is to generate
various random id names ("f97hacr5dt183a") and put the appropriate record for
given id to the stylesheet. I believe that encouraging of such practices is a
bad idea.

I can see no harm caused by _allowing_ the style attribute - then, you will
address the possible problems, both current and future ones, satisfying the
world. For purists (for stuff which is not just a quick hack, I prefer
technical and structural purity myself; however the real world is frequently
about these quick hacks, which allow people to quickly say what they want when
they need, not asking them to spend hours on it) the existence of the style
attribute doesn't matter at all since noone forces them to use it and the
alternative "proper" mechanisms are available as well.

Kind regards,

--

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
.