Re: XHTML 2.0 considered harmful

From: Daniel Glazman <glazman@netscape.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 15:32:56 +0100
CC: "www html w3.org" <www-html@w3.org>

Ian Hickson wrote:

>Your second point is that <br/> is easier to edit in a WYSIWYG editor.
>However this is a red herring since in practice you have already
>solved the problem: You handle a backspace exactly in the way you
>would handle a backspace over through a <div> element. After all,
>stylistically, an <l> element is identical to a <div> element: it is
>simply an element with 'display' set to 'block'.

Excerpt from spec "The l element contains a sub-paragraph that
represents a sinle line of text. It is intended as a structured
replacement for the br element. It contains a piece of text that when
visually represented should start on a new line, and have a line break
at the end."

A div has no constraint on leading and trailing CR. You can add a \n
before and after a div, but I don't see for the moment how you can
remove those from an l element.

</Daniel>