HTML to XHTML translator

From: Jesus Arias Fisteus <jaf@it.uc3m.es>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 21:19:52 +0100 (CET)
To: www-html@w3.org

Hi,

I have done a HTML 2 XHTML translator for my diplom thesis (September
2001). It was written in C. Then I added to it some changes, and now it
works as a CGI too. You can execute it from:

http://www.it.uc3m.es/jaf/conversor.html

It has some known problems, but I havn't enough time to improve it:

- It doesn't translate style information (font, color, etc.) to a
stylesheet language (like CSS). Then, if the selected output document type
is XHTML 1.0 Strict, XHTML 1.1 or XHTML Basic, this information is
discarded.

- It has problems with some HTML documents. It was programmed to accept a
lot of frecuent errors in HTML documents, but more work is needed.

- Its support for XHTML Basic is very limited: it doesn't
translate elements not supported in this document type to supported
elements.

However, I think that it could be interesting for you. I would be very
pleased if you could try it and send me comments about it. If you think
that it is useful (for example, compared to HTML Tidy), I will ask my
thesis director to distribute it as open source.

Thanks,

Jesús Arias Fisteus
http://www.it.uc3m.es/jaf/