Re: Campaign for new SHORTTAG in HTML 4

From: William F Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu>
Date: 14 Jan 2003 23:28:35 -0500
To: W3C HTML <www-html@w3.org>

Where the SGML declaration for HTML 4.01 simply has "SHORTTAG YES"
"Russell O'Connor" <roconnor@math.berkeley.edu> suggests:

> Actually we need to modify the Declaration to read something like
>
> SHORTTAG
>  STARTTAG
>   EMPTY NO
>   UNCLOSED NO
>   NETENABL NO
>  ENDTAG
>   EMPTY NO
>   UNCLOSED NO
>  ATTRIB
>   DEFAULT YES
>   OMITNAME YES
>   VALUE YES

> Did I get that right?

More or less.  However, because of Appendix C of XHTML 1.0, I think
like "br".  So don't I then need to replace "NETENABL NO" with
"NETENABL IMMEDNET" (as in the SGML declaration for XML)?

>                 I'm less sure about the value for ATTRIB DEFAULT.

Don't know -- would need to check carefully but not now.

                                    -- Bill