Re: (too) special markup (was: Re: XHTML 2.0 considered harmful)

From: Philip TAYLOR [PC336/H-XP] <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 21:46:35 +0000
To: Jonas Jørgensen <jonasj@jonasj.dk>
CC: www-html@w3.org

Jonas Jørgensen wrote:

> Bertilo Wennergren wrote:
> > It seems to me that "kbd", "var" et.al should be confined to a module
> > for marking up computer code, or even moved to a special XCODE markup
> > language, since they're not even close to being rich enough for any
> > practical use when marking up computer code.
>
> Indeed, they are not practical when marking up computer code. They are,
> however, extremely useful when writing documents _about_ computer code.
> So leave them in XHTML. Please.

But : what is so special about computer code that tags specific to
writing about /it/ deserve a place in the core tag site, whilst
tags specific to writing about (say) linguistics do not ?  Surely
there is nothing special about computer code /within the aegis of
XHTML/ that deserves it being given special attention.

Philip Taylor, RHBNC