Re: Promotion of XHTML

From: Russell O'Connor <roconnor@Math.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 00:58:46 -0800 (PST)
To: W3C HTML <www-html@w3.org>

[To: www-html@w3.org]

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Etan Wexler wrote:

> The compatibility that exists in XHTML is with common user agents, not
> with HTML.

Yes, It seems I was mistaken about the intent of Appendix C.

> But, anyway, HTML has never been an SGML application in any practical
> way.  HTML was and is a fast and loose language, defined in part by
> Requests For Comments and Recommendations, but also by the
> functionaility of popular user agents.  The fact that HTML
> documents can be written to be conforming SGML documents does not
> make HTML SGML.

Perhaps, but HTML 4.01 is certainly SGML.  What makes HTML 4.01 SGML are
the words in section 4.2

	HTML 4 is an SGML application conforming to International Standard
	ISO 8879 -- Standard Generalized Markup Language SGML (defined in

As I'm sure you know, these are randomly chosen words.  It is exactly the
wording used to indicates that HTML is an SGML application.

- --
Russell O'Connor            <http://www.math.berkeley.edu/~roconnor/>
``[Law enforcement officials] suggested that the activists were stopped
not because their names are on the list, but because their names resemble
those of suspected criminals or terrorists.'' -- SFGate.com

Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (SunOS)