Re: HTML or XHTML - why do you use it?

From: Toby A Inkster <tobyink@goddamn.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 07:44:56 +0000
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, "Peter Foti (PeterF)" <PeterF@SystolicNetworks.com>, "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 05:15:59PM -0500, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
| > If a browser were to choose which rendering path to use (xml or tag soup)
| > depending on, say, the doctype
|
| Then all the currently-authored bogo-XHTML would break in that browser, and the
| site designer, who only tests in IE/Windows, will neither know nor care.  This
| is explicitly covered in Ian's article....

Yes, but if you read me message fully, you'd see that I suggested that
IE/Windows is the browser *most* likely to do doctype sniffing, because of
their history of ignoring MIME types:

	http://www.pinkjuice.com/svg/mime.xhtml
	http://www.securiteam.com/securitynews/5FP0F1P6AK.html [1]
	http://p2p.wrox.com/archive/xslt/2001-01/86.asp
	http://lists.over.net/pipermail/mod_gzip/2001-November/005690.html

[1] The article also mentions Opera as ignoring MIME types. It is worth
noting that the option to ignore MIME types is disabled by default.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
E-mail:   tobyink@goddamn.co.uk

Now KEN and BARBIE are PERMANENTLY ADDICTED to MIND-ALTERING DRUGS ...