Re: HTML or XHTML - why do you use it?

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 15:08:44 -0500
To: "Peter Foti (PeterF)" <PeterF@SystolicNetworks.com>
cc: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>

> Yes, I was referring to Windows (or more precisely, GUI OSes where you would
> open a file by (double)clicking the icon of the file).  Hadn't really
> thought about purely text-based OSes.

BeOS is a GUI OS on which the file type has nothing to do with the extension.
On any modern Unix you open files by double-clicking them in your file
manager.  That does not make the type depend on the extension.

The list goes on (need I mention MacOS 9, where the type is only very loosely
dependent on the extension, if at all?).

Of course MacOS 9 is a purely text-based OS, so we don't have to worry about
it.

Boris
--
If you put garbage in a computer nothing comes out but
garbage.  But this garbage, having passed through a