Re: ABBR support

From: (wrong string) šper <christoph.paeper@tu-clausthal.de>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 17:49:45 +0100
To: <www-html@w3.org>

Sander Tekelenburg:
> At 04:16 -0800 UTC, on 1/7/03, Tantek «elik wrote:
>
>> so thus we didn't small-caps ABBR (however we did for ACRONYM
>> which results in an "Economist" like styling of ACRONYMs).

I do that too in many of my stylesheets, plus font-size: 95%; or similar.
Changing word- or letter-spacing is also common, but I guess there are
differences among styling traditions from different countries.

> I don't find anything in CSS 2 that says capitals are not to be
> transformed to small-caps. I suppose this is a bug then?

No, that is what small-caps is: the small letters look like their big
brothers (cap[ital]s), just smaller. Not to confuse with text-transform:
uppercase.

> I ask myself why the authors of the spec would have
> bothered to add an ABBR element at all then?

E.g. for aural browser to replace it with the expanded version (maybe
gatheres from the title attribute) if appropriate.

> Why would the authors of the spec have bothered to create
> an element for this?

"An"? Why two? Where you need either at least three (+initialism) or only
one (abbr) like in current XHTML2.

Christoph Pšper