Re: HTML or XHTML - why do you use it?

In a message dated 1/7/2003 9:57:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk writes:

> It would seem obvious
> to me that those sufficiently aware of XHTML to be interested in
> migrating to it would by definition have been those to whom
> validation was already second nature.  Who, amongst $hoi polloi$,
> has even /heard/ of XHTML ?  Surely it is the cognoscenti who
> will move towards XHTML, and they, by definition, are already
> valiating each and every HTML document that they create; why
> should they stop this just because they are moving towards XHTML?

I would tend to agree with this.  As it stands, XHTML is not the markup
language of the masses. Those that create web documents with it are surely
the kind of authors who would write valid markup in the first place.

I was fortunate enough to NEVER use HTML.  I began learning markup less than
a year ago, so I went straight into XHTML (now XHTML 1.1) and validate every
document as part of my authoring routine.  I serve the pages up as text/html
purely because Internet Explorer can't cope with it as
application/xhtml+html.  I would be delighted to be able to use the correct
mime type!

Perhaps authors should petition Microsoft to bundle a fix to this problem
with their next security update :D

Simon Jessey
e: <A HREF="mailto:scjessey@aol.com">scjessey@aol.com</A>
w: <A HREF="http://jessey.net/">http://jessey.net</A>