Re: HTML or XHTML - why do you use it?

From: Nick Boalch <nick@fof.durge.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 18:33:31 +0000
To: www-html@w3.org

Devon Y. wrote:

>> Some [1] would argue that there is no point in working in XHTML until
>> it can reliably be interpreted when delivered as text/xml. www-talk
>> has seen lengthy discussion on this issue.
>
>  As far as I know, it's reliably interpreted by user agents' that
> support it.

Indeed. However, this appears currently to mean Gecko-based browsers and
recent versions of Opera, a relatively small proportion of the total.

>> [1] <URL: http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml>, for example.
>
> Think I've read this before. It only talks about why one shouldn't send
> XHTML as text/html, right?

More or less. It's conclusion is that XHTML delivered as text/html is
broken and XHTML delivered as text/xml is risky, so authors intending
their work for public consumption should stick to HTML 4.01.

Cheers,

N.
--
Nick Boalch                          <URL:http://users.durge.org/~nick/>