Re: Promotion of XHTML

From: Douglas Livingstone <lists@redmelon.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 14:07:15 +0100
To: <www-html@w3.org>

> > Because the validators spot it.
>
> Literal answer: it is not legal to have unclosed tags in HTML, only
unclosed
> elements.
>
> However, the nsgmls program that underlies the W3C validator can be run in
> a mode in which it makes optional closing tags, and optional elements
> explicit.

OK, rephrase:

Because the validators spot it by default.

> The validator is not part of XHTML. The validator is a tool; there are
> tools that can spot unclosed HTML tags as well.

True, but by adding an XHTML doctype at the top of my html files, I get the
results from the tools which I use which I want/expect with no other work on
my part setting up those tools. That is a good enough reason for me. (Its
all soup after that anyway)

Later,
Douglas