Re: Promotion of XHTML

From: John Lewis <lewi0371@mrs.umn.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 06:24:43 -0600
To: www-html@w3.org

Douglas wrote on Wednesday, January 1, 2003 at 5:03:19 PM:

>> How does using XHTML make it easier for the author to close every tag?

> Because the validators spot it.

The validator is not part of XHTML. The validator is a tool; there are
tools that can spot unclosed HTML tags as well.

I think that's a decent reason for the HTML validator to have an
option that checks for unclosed elements, but I don't think it's a
good reason to switch from HTML to XHTML.

--
John