Re: Should encoding of site structure be standardized?

From: Jared Warren <warren@cs.queensu.ca>
Date: 28 Feb 2003 18:28:49 -0500
To: www-html@w3.org

Your site navigation features are provided by RDF Site Summary
<http://web.resource.org/rss/1.0/spec> which is currently implemented in
Mozilla. As for page elements like headers and navigation bars, these
can currently be modularised by using Server Side Includes or a more
powerful preprocessing language (PHP is a popular choice) or IFRAMEs* --
however doing it properly will require fully processed generated styles
(eg: the content attrib) as are planned for CSS3.

It seems to me that future UAs should pay much more attention to
available RSS feeds when rendering flat pages. For example: we recently
had a debate on this list over putting the title of a *site* in the
TITLE element for each page. This crude hack could be avoided if
browsers looked up the name of the site and then consulted a site-wide
style for how to incorporate it into their titlebars.

~ Jared Warren <warren@cs.queensu.ca>
Computing Science, Queen's University

* Or ECMAScript -- but don't!