Re: Visual Markup (should HTML die?)

Todd O'Bryan wrote:

 > but people who think
> content should be preserved would be encouraged to use XML and create
> documents that would be far more content-rich in terms of markup than
> any HTML out there now.

The thing that gives meaning to documents written in HTML is that there
is a specification that defines the meanings of tags so that web sites
and browsers imbue them with the same meaning.  If a web site makes up
some tags for a document and the browsers don't know what the tags mean
(how would they?) then the document is meaningless to the browsers.

> at least we'd
> be guaranteed that any VML-compatible browser would be able to view
> their presentation

Why?  How would rendering VML be any easier than rendering CSS?

> I know VML doesn't address the problem of accessibility, but the way
> HTML is commonly misused doesn't further that laudable goal either.

Yes, but people who care about accessibility _can_ currently use HTML
properly.  Using "XML" is not an option for the reasons listed above.