Preventing line-wrapping after hyphen?

From: andrew kagan <aklist@enigmedia.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 15:33:18 -0500
To: <www-html@w3.org>

Hello List: This is my first post, so please let me know if the subject is
inappropriate and should be directed elsewhere.

I found a thread on this list from August 2001 about preventing wrapping of
text after a hypen. I read the entire thread but didn't find a resolution.

I am currently tyring to solve the same problem with  line-wrapping in
Internet Explorer 5x-6x. Are there any HTML formatting techniques that will
prevent line-wrapping aftter a hyphen character?

I have tried using CSS with {white-space: nowrap;} in a span tag, but this
does not work.

Thanks in advance for any insight you might be able to provide.