Re: XHTML and web pages

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:40:27 +0200, Mihai P. B. Stiucan wrote:

> How to code , what I have to respect?
> As a major observation, I read about XHTML new conditions and using CSS
> , but there are 2 or 3 versions of specifications for the same
> technology. What is good, will we respect those specifications or we
> will code HTML like we did before, free of restricitons?

If you're concerned about backwards compatibility with most major older
browsers, but still want to write up-to-date, standards compliant and
accessible web pages this is probably the best thing to do:

Write in XHTML 1.0. XHTML 1.1 has some minor compatibility issues with
older browsers. XHTML 2 is not compatible with HTML at all.

Use semantic markup -- for example, the headline of your page should look
like this:

<h1>Foobar</h1>

and nothing like any of these:

Avoid scripting whenever possible. If it must be done, make sure that
there is an alternative way of accessing any information without
scripting.

Follow the Web Accessibility Initiative's Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines whenever possible.

Do not use the <font/> element AT ALL! Do not use any prefentation
attributes, like bgcolor= or color=. Do all this presentational stuff in
an external CSS2 style sheet (CSS3 is still not finalised or widely
supported).

In your CSS, don't use fixed font sizes like 11px. Instead use named font
sizes like x-large, medium or xx-small.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS | mailto:tobyink@goddamn.co.uk | pgp:0x6A2A7D39
    aim:inka80 | icq:6622880 | yahoo:tobyink | jabber:tobyink@a-message.de