Re: Applet, Target, Object, Embed in XHTML 1.1

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

[snip]

> What's your goal?  Do you want the content to show up in browsers that
> do not support <object> (not sure what those are; NS4 maybe?)?  Then
> what you have is correct (and yes, I know that does not validate).
>
> If you only care about browsers with <object> support, you can either
> have only a single object element or two nested ones... The reason to do
> nesting is that
>
> <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" />
>
> Means "run the ActiveX control with ID
> 'D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000' on the data".

How can one tell that the parameter to the object tag is trying
to invoke an Active-X object ?  Is there some central registry
(not in the Microsoft sense of the word!) where such parameters
are enumerated and classified ?  If not, what is to prevent
a browser from applying its own (totally idiosyncratic)
interpretation to the parameter and interpreting it as
anything that it chooses ?

Philip Taylor, RHBNC