Re: Abbreviations and Acronyms: [techs] Latest HTML Techniques Draft

"John Colby" <John.Colby@uce.ac.uk> wrote in message

>So the pragmatic approach would be to use <acronym> for both acronyms
>and abbreviations for all documents, although it is not semantically
>correct, and then when it is practicable to change the !DOCTYPE
>declaration for XHTML 2.0 do a global search and replace for <acronym>
>to <abbr>.

IE is not an XHTML user agent, it makes no claims to support XHTML,
comverting from HTML 4.01 (that IE does understand) to XHTML 2.0 will not be
a job of changing doctypes, the differences between XHTML 2.0 and HTML 4 (or
more relevantly tag/soup) I see as irrelevant for recommendations, seperate
recommendations should exist for both languages, they are very different.

Jim.