Re: [XHTML2] On the subject of handling quotations

Nope, because assuming that the block/inline distinction remains so that
we have certain elements such as <span> that can only have inline
content inside them then if <quote> was used for either block or inline
does not exist in XML a mechanism for telling <quote> that inside a <span>
certain elements such as <div> are not OK while they are OK elsewhere.

<quote> doesn't need the block/inline distinction for itself, but if it is
needed for other elements there will be a need for two separate
quotation elements for the block and inline models.