RE: Abbreviations and Acronyms: [techs] Latest HTML Techniques Draft

Since the conventional meanings of acronym and abbreviations differ in
different countries and what may be an acronym in some circle may be an
abbreviation (or initaliism) in others, should we not be designed an
imfrastructure which takes on board the real-world fuzziness?

By this I mean the ability to have alternatives - e.g. FAQ may be
treated as letters or as a word; if as a word it is pronounced as foo;
bar; etc. and the expansion is foo; bar, etc.

Note that my suggestion for allowing a range of meanings is to be able
to distinguish between a strict definition, a chatty explanation, etc.
For example, the FAILTE project www.failte.ac.uk says that FAILTE
standards for Facilitating Access to Information on Learning Technology
for Engineers.  However the Web page goes on to say that failte  is the
gaelic word for WELCOME, and is pronounced something like 'fawl-sha'.
It *may* be useful to be able to provide markup to differentatite
between, say, a formal meaning and an explanation (I say *may* as
clearly there is a cost to doing this.)

The other point I would make is that for XHTML 2.0 we should learn
lessons from HTML.  I recebntly wrote a case study on our use of
Abbreviations and Acronyms - see

http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/qa-focus/documents/case-studies/case-study-30/

The motivation for using the tags was to enable an automated glossary to
be produced - see work in progress at
http://www.materials.ac.uk/acronyms/

It was seeing the different approaches which raised some of the policy
issues described in the case study.  The other lesson was QA for such
metadata (for which users tend to get a visual opportunity to spot
errors).

This glossary approach is interesting as it illustrates the
interoperability angle, as opposed to the speech browser issue, which is
only concerned with consistency in the page itself.

Brian