RE: Structure vs Semantics

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:55:48 +0200 (EET)
To: www-html@w3.org

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Jewett, Jim J wrote:

> A typical contract (including many software licenses) will
> contain several paragraphs of upper-case, because the law
> says that something needs to be emphasized.

I don't think it's the law but lawyers that say it needs to be
"emphasized".

> Emphasizing with an <em> is better than just upper-casing,
> for the same reasons that <strong> is better than <b>.

I think this is an _opposite_ example. Using just CSS to create
uppercasing is better, since the real intent is not emphasis but filling
some (imaginary) formal requirement. Everyone knows such text don't get
emphasis and aren't normally read at all.