Re: Structure vs Semantics

In the root post of this thread, Lachlan proposed consolidating
<quote> and <blockquote> and other such pairs of semantic
elements into single elements which could be used in either
the Block or the Inline context. This is what I was referring to.

here is clearly intended to be block.  Given the current
state of CSS, this would force CSS to use a default value
of the display property of <quote> to be block, as it is unable
to adjust the properties of an element based on its children.
It would be unable to tell whether that quote element
is supposed to be block or inline, and at least in the case
of a quote, a block quote has a degree of emphasis
over an inline quote.

I feel that the distinction between block and inline is
fundamental enough that to force styling to be provided
to make the distinction is not a good idea.