Re: layouthook (was: RE: vague thought - grid tag)

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 21:42:15 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-html@w3.org

> What are <div> and <span> for?  They're basically a container
> of undefined meaning, often (but not always) used just to
> anchor a style.

I think you mean abused.  The intended purpose of div and span are
to add block and inline semantics to the document when it is not
appropriate to subclass another element.   span is very rarely
needed as it is almost always possible to find an appropriate
inline element and subclass it.

These are workarounds for an inadequate or inappropriate style
sheet language.  If they represent real structure in the document, they
should have class names reflecting that structure.