Re: XHTML 2.0 Last Call process

>   The HTML WG Roadmap <http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/xhtml-roadmap/> states
> that you expect XHTML 2.0 to go into Last Call in October 2003 and
> advance the specification to Candidate Recommendation in January 2004.
> Is this information up to date?

It's the WG's current "hope".  It may change over time.  The WG won't
issue a Last Call until they feel it's done.  The plan has been delayed
to address large number of comments the WG has received so far.

> Will there be any other Working Draft
> before your Last Call Announcement?

You may expect one or more Working Drafts before Last Call.  It won't
be so long before the next draft is published.

> How much time do you expect to give
> for the Last Call review period?

It depends on negotiation with other Working Groups.  It won't be
too short.

> I like to suggest that XHTML 2.0 is not advanced to Candidate
> Recommendation status after Last Call but rather that the HTML WG issues
> a second Last Call after reviewer comments have been addressed.

That will happen when substantial changes are made.

> A number of specifications already went
> this path (though not necessarily intentionally) and I believe these
> specifications, their communities and the Working Groups benefitted from
> this slightly informal process.

We know it as the Process Issue #168.  The resolution is that a WG
MAY publish a WD with minor changes after last call, then advance to
the next phase.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org