Re: Karl's Comments on 31 Jan 2003 WD of XHTML 2.0

Karl Dubost wrote:

 > Hi to the HTML WG,
 >
 > In the scope of understanding XHTML 2.0 and prepare a specific QA review for
the future versions of the Working Drafts, I read XHTML 2.0 and I have written
my comments in a copy of the spec itself. [1]

You write

   KD: You do not specify the possibility for people to extend the semantics of
   their markup by using className if they need a specific semantic which is not
   defined in the XHTML spec. They can use a class="poem", for example.

Just a reminder that CSS 2 Recommendation says at the end of section 5.8.3:

   Note. CSS gives so much power to the "class" attribute, that authors could
   conceivably design their own "document language" based on elements with
   almost no associated presentation (such as DIV and SPAN in HTML) and
   assigning style information through the "class" attribute. Authors should
   avoid this practice since the structural elements of a document language
   often have recognized and accepted meanings and author-defined classes may
   not.

I don't say it's antithetic. I say the second prose above is in a REC and
should not be forgotten.

</Daniel>