Re: title attribute and stylesheets

On 4/23/03 10:16 AM, "Ernest Cline" <ernestcline@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Daniel Glazman wrote:
>
>> Ernest Cline wrote:

>> Oh my goodness... No, please!!!!
>
> Isn't that a bit overdone? I'm not 100% happy with this either, but I
> think it is an improvement over the current method of indicating
> persistent, preferred, and alternate style sheets. If you have another
> idea for eliminating the use of the title attribute as a marker for
> whether an external style sheet is persistent or preferred, I'd gladly
> embrace it.

Certainly the current method is neither optimal nor easily understood, but
substituting a title attribute hack with a navindex hack is no better.

There is another place in HTML where elements are grouped logically, and
that is <input type="radio">, where elements with the same 'name' attribute
(the remaining valid use of the name attribute) are considered to be part of
the same radio group.

Perhaps this design pattern could be applied to style sheets as well.

Another possibility would be to adopt the <switch> element.

 http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-smil/#switch

Perhaps an opportunity to create a _minimal_ subset profile of SMIL, and
recast it as a more generic XHTML module.

Tantek