Re: more xhtml 2.0 comments

From: <Donna.Worby@dardni.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 09:23:32 +0100
To: ernestcline@mindspring.com
Cc: www-html@w3.org

Ernest Cline <ernestcline@mindspring.com>:
> I strongly doubt that an 'Mc' character will ever be part of Unicode.

> [...]

Agreed; aside from anything, 'Mc' is counted as two characters in a
name rather than one.

> As for the suggestion of including <super>c, I also doubt that
Unicode
all
> variations I've seen of how to present Mc.

Applying the correct formatting to the character is not the problem -
this markup would only make sense to a visual UA. The superscripted 'c'
in this instance has properties as a character, such as the lexical
ordering mentioned earlier. I do believe that this 'c' ought to be
included in Unicode.

> Might I suggest using this:
>   <abbr title="Mac">Mc</abbr>
> since 'Mc' will probably never appear in Unicode unless someone can
> provide a more impressive reason than what has neen presented here.

For an aural UA, perhaps, but unless an appropriate stylesheet was
provided this wouldn't render correctly on a visual device.

donna
e.

donna