l element (was: more xhtml 2.0 comments)

From: Daniel Glazman <glazman@netscape.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 20:11:02 +0200
To: "www-html@w3.org" <www-html@w3.org>

After a quite long IRC chat with fantasai and Ian Hickson, I finally see
some interest in the l element.
Well, not really, since I still think ol/li and div are enough, but I
can live with it :-)

I think the WD introduced a very big confusion speaking of lines: the l
element represents, I quote the WD, "a single line of text". Some people
read this line as "line of poetry" or "line of program", some others
read it as "visual line".

So a line (l element) is not a line (of poetry) is not a line (well, a
line).

I strongly recommend (a) a clarification of the definition of the l
element (b) another name, this one being too confusing with 1 and i, and
intrinsicly too confusing because a "line" has multiple meanings in
English having different visual rendering (and that's not the case in
other languages).

This element meant to serve as a replacement for <br/>, I still think it
will too drastically complexify wysiwyg editors. I still totally
disagree with the removal of <br/>.

comment crossposted to www-html-editor and Karl Dubost FHI.

</Daniel>