Re: XHTML2 MIME type

[ personal opinion ]

Herr Christian Wolfgang Hujer <Christian.Hujer@itcqis.com> wrote:

> > [Not being able to distinguish between XHTML 2.0 supporting user agents and
> others on the serverside will hinder early adoption of XHTML 2.0]
> I completely with that.
> That's what I want to say all the time.
>
> The only way to use XHTML now is to use content negotiation.
> Same will be with XHTML 2.0.

I think no one is claiming that there's no need to distinguish XHTML2
and XHTML 1.x (and others), or against content negotiation.  Opinions
differ whether media type is an appropriate/efficient way of doing that.
I tend to think it's not, and I'm not claiming that the profile
parameter is a better way, either.  With increasingly heterogeneous
nature of XHTML2, we desperately need a better way, and this is not
at all an XHTML-specific problem.  XML as a whole needs a solution,
as Ian rightly pointed out.

That said, if nothing happens by the time XHTML2 becomes mature,
we might end up registering a new media type, but I would say that's
a last resort.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org