Re: Object and New Insert Code Element

Etan Wexler wrote:

>Arthur Wiebe wrote to <mailto:www-html@w3.org> on 10 April 2003 in "Re:
>Object and New Insert Code Element" (<mid:3E95AE4B.7030108@awiebe.com>):
>

>>object takes the file and treats it like a movie or media file.
>>

>An 'object' element merely identifies a resource for embedding (and possibly
>software to handle the reource). It is your user agent, faulty by your
>measure (and by mine), that treats the resource like a movie or media file.
>

>>It doesn't just simply insert the code[,]
>>which would work a lot better.
>>

>I still do not know the details of your situation. I suspect that you are
>trying to render a resource of type "application/xhtml+xml" as though it
>were of type "text/plain". Such a plan is bogus. The correct behavior is to
>respect the semantics and syntax identified by the media type name. Thus an
>embedded XHTML resource should render in a manner similar to the manner in
>which non-embedded XHTML renders.
>
>A really good user agent would allow configuration by the user to treat all
>XHTML like plain text. I spot two problems. The first is that your user
>agent, Arthur, is demonstrably not really good, which is what prompted your
>original message in this thread. The second problem is that when XHTML is
>treated like plain text, embedding becomes impossible, thwarting you from
>yet another angle.

I tried embeding it with the type of application/xhtml+xml and the web
page was served with the same mime type. My user agent was Netscape 7.02
and Mozilla 1.3.
object is great it just does not fit this purpose. I don't really have a
problem anymore except I wish I could get some results with XInclude.
-Arthur