Re: 'email' element type

Etan Wexler wrote:

> Jim Dabell wrote to <mailto:www-html@w3.org> on 8 April 2003 in "Re: 'email'
> element type" (<mid:200304081736.51106.jim-www-html@jimdabell.com>):
>
> > I don't consider it to be redundant. mailto hrefs are behavioural, an
> > <email> element is also informational.
>
> How is an 'email' element more informational than the presence of a "mailto"
> URI?

If I may presume, based on his comments so far, I imagine that he means
that a user agent could style it differently than other sorts of links.
However, that can already by done with the CSS3 Selector
[href^="mailto:"]

I must admit to being tempted to do things like:

[href^-"mailto:"]::before {content:url("envelope.gif")}
[href^-"gopher:"]::before {content:url("gopher.gif")}
[href^="https:"]::before {content:url("padlock.gif")}