Re: [XHTML2] Suggestion: generalize CAPTION element

Masayasu Ishikawa writes:
> [ personal opinion ]
>
> > Bert Bos:
> > >
> > > It seems to me that associating a caption with an image is such a
> > > fundamental operation, that it should be expressed by semantic
> > > mark-up, rather than by visual proximity (or other purely stylistic
> > > means).
>
> You mean, not just a child but as the first child?  Do you want it
> mandatory (when 'src' is used), and do you want to allow only one
> caption or multiple captions?  As Christoph pointed out, the ojbect
> element does something like this, although

I had overlooked the fact that OBJECT contained CAPTION, so I retract
my criticism. I thought OBJECT in XHTML2 had the same content model as
in HTML4.

Btw., the description of CAPTION in XHTML2 says CAPTION describes a
TABLE (or at least the CAPTION element of OBJECT links to the CAPTION
element of TABLE), but I assume that is an editorial mistake.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-xhtml2-20030131/mod-tables.html#edef_tables_caption

Now that there is at least one way to associate an image with a
caption, the need for captions on other types of images becomes less
clear. It is still an interesting question whether all elements that
have a SRC attribute should also have a CAPTION element and whether
OBJECT should exist at all, but I haven't made up my mind about that.
I think I can do all I wanted to do with the new OBJECT.

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/ERCIM