Re: Preload for <section>

From: C.Bottelier <c.bottelier@ITsec.nl>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 15:02:49 +0200
To: Micho <MichoKest@terra.es>
CC: www-html@w3.org

Micho wrote:
> I would be an easy to implement and usefull attribute, as when defining big
> presentational elements they take a long time to load, producing changes in
> the page while it's loading. This way (by displaying a 'loading' text or by
> not displaying nothing at all until it's fully loaded), presentation could
> be improved, somehow acting as flash's preloaders.

We have to consider a few things here:
 - User agents that do not understand the attribute (yet) should
   still be able to render the page correctly
 - Documents using the attribute should still be able to be liniarized
   without compromising delivered content.
 - When the document is served over a slow line and the author has
chosen
   not to show anything until the page has loaded completely, the user
   could / would get the impression the document is empty.
 - when should the preload be replaced with the real content. (Regarding
   refreshes of contents using scripting, animations, etc...)
 - Is it necessary to 'hide' changes produced by loading, or is this
   *always* a side effect of bad design?

Christian Bottelier