Re[2]: XHTML Frames

Thursday, September 19, 2002, 4:20:12 PM, Javier wrote:

JGI> Hello,

JGI> I believe that you are in error, because I do my xhtml frameset with the
JGI> frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" attributes placed in the
JGI> frame tag -not in the frameset tag- and w3.org validator engine validate my
JGI> document!!!

JGI> The code result of this "experiment" are:

JGI> <frameset rows="*,*">
JGI> <frame src="page.html" name="name" scrolling="auto" frameborder="0"
JGI> marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" />
JGI> <frame src="page.html" name="name" scrolling="auto" frameborder="0"
JGI> marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" />
JGI> </frameset>

JGI> As a consequence, I believe that this method are fully correct. Please
JGI> correct if I am in error!!

JGI> Bye!

You are right and at least in HTML4.01 Frameset DTD - frameborder,
marginwidth, marginheight are valid attributes for FRAME element.
However only by setting them to 0 does not guarantee that all (or most)
user-agents will render no space between frames. At least 3 of most
often used browsers fail to do so. (I'm not sure if it is appropriate to
mention names in this list)

By doing various tests I figured out that the following line makes my
frame document appear exactly as intended (that is: NO borders and NO
empty space between frames) when rendered by most (if not all) user-agents:

<frameset ... border="0" framespacing="0" frameborder="0">

But then again these are invalid attributes in any HTML/XHTML version.
I have no idea why most user-agents are supporting them.

I have also tried to achieve the desired result using CSS, but without
success. So far I have choose to have invalid code in my XHTML
document, since how the page appear is far more important for my customer.

Milen Dyankov