Re: 'nl': presentational or semantic?

Gabriele FavaÊwrote to <www-html@w3.org> on 24 August 2002 in "Re: 'nl':
presentational or semantic?" (<mid:3D67EC52.9000205@tiscalinet.it>):

> I fully agree with the proposal of a
> construct to divide navigation parts (menus, bars etc.) from the
> content, but I can't understand why such navigation parts should be
> constructed as lists. I proposed a general navigation element, instead
> of that nl.

I, too, prefer a more general element type that indicates navigation, an
element type not limited to list semantics.

> Perhaps you saw that new navigation list in a w3c specification and
> thought that if they put it as a list it must [mean] that for one reason
> or another it is good to structure all navigation items of a page as
> lists. Think with your own head, I can't see any reason for this.

My thinking was not along those lines.  You made a specific argument,
that the 'nl' element type is presentational; I made a specific
counterargument, that the 'nl' element type is structural and semantic.

> Understood why I claimed "nl" to be only a presentational element?

No, I am sorry to report.

> If my guesses are correct, it has just been made
> to simplify presentational matters.

I find the motivation irrelevant.  I examine an element type's
definition to determine whether the type is presentational.

--
Etan Wexler <mailto:ewexler@stickdog.com>