FW: why not valid? HTML 4.01 strict

From the HTML 4.01 Strict DTD (which you are using to validate
against), which is available at:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/sgml/dtd.html
which can be accessed from the HTML 4.01 spec quick table of
contents (item 21)
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/#minitoc

    This is HTML 4.01 Strict DTD, which excludes the presentation
    attributes and elements that W3C expects to phase out as
    support for style sheets matures. Authors should use the Strict
    DTD when possible, but may use the Transitional DTD when support
    for presentation attribute and elements is required.

Frames, I believe, are considered presentational.  However, I
agree with you that the specs are not clear on this.  It seems
to me that there should be 2 versions of the specs... a strict
version and a transitional version.

Pete

-----Original Message-----
From: www-html-request@w3.org [mailto:www-html-request@w3.org]On Behalf
Of Robert Koberg
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 1:11 PM
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: RE: why not valid? HTML 4.01 strict

OK, but then what do you use to open a new window or target a frame.

In reading:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/present/frames.html#adef-target

It says it is appropriate - it says nothing about the fact that
it is illegal in
4.01 strict. Perhaps this should be added.

Why was it removed?

thanks,
-Rob

Loose DTD only.