object tag for (eg) word, excel and powerpoint files

From: Edwin Humphries <edwin@e-quality.com.au>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 17:11:56 +1000
To: www-html@w3.org

I've been trying to work out how to display a Word file (for example) in a browser window using
the OBJECT tag. I'm buggered if I can do it: this stuff is too obscure for me.

Can anyone help?

the current code is:

<object data="docontrol.doc" type="application/openoffice">
    Ask your system administrator to install the required application to view this file
</object>

The most likely environment is IE/MSOffice, but it would be nice to have cross-browser
compatability!