Re: OL needs the start attribute

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 09:56:45 +0100 (BST)
To: www-html@w3.org

> Suppose, I have a very large list and I want to display it on more
> pages.

Depends what you mean by page.  If you mean a printed page, that is
a question of using appropriate CSS markup to indicate the page
boundary.  If you mean at a different URL, that's an interesting case
where presentation is achieved by non-style means, but also where
it may be done for performance, rather than eye-candy reasons
(the ability to abort an expensive database retrieve, or spread it
out in time).

I don't think avoiding scrolling the browser is a good reason for
artificial breaks in lists.  Page load time may be an issue, if:

- the use of auto-layout tables is unavoidable;
- the whole list has to be part of a single form;
- there are likely to be fragment links to individual list items;
- one wants to reduce the problems caused by seriously overloading
  network capacity that means that long pages may be unloadable,
  particularly in internet cafes, in some parts of the world.

(The Javascript prologue on many pages is enough to trigger the third
problem, though.)