Re: OL needs the start attribute

From: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 21:32:01 -0400
To: www-html@w3.org

Sampo Syreeni wrote:

 > (BTW, the proposal that we add hooks for arbitrary list labels is flawed
 > in at least two ways.
 >
 > First, if what you're encoding is a list, the numbering is pure
 > presentation, as I've argued. From that viewpoint we'd be adding
 > presentational structures to HTML, the precise opposite of what we
 > *should* be doing.

"Repeat steps 4-6 until.."

Whether numbering is pure presentational or not, it is impractical
to rely on stylesheets when there are references to list items
in running text. It can be done (XRef in DocBook has similar
requirements), but I think that this would be too complex for XHTML.

The number is a label for the list item. Labels are content.
Witness how the correspondance between two identical documents
breaks down when the numbering doesn't match up: a reference
to a numbered item becomes instance-specific.

~fantasai