Re: FW: OL needs the start attribute

From: Philip TAYLOR [PC336/H-XP] <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 18:37:43 +0100
To: "Peter Foti (PeterF)" <PeterF@SystolicNetworks.com>
Cc: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>

"Peter Foti (PeterF)" wrote:

> I agree. If the numbering is considered critical to the understanding of the
> document, then it is content.

/Prima facie/, I agree;  but how then would you propose marking
up such a list?  If you present it as an ordered list, you
would want to suppress auto-numbering yet have the "number"
part of the content appear where the auto-number would normally
appear; and if you mark it up as an unordered list, then
not only would the same constraints apply, but you would
also need to inform the browser that the list could not
be presented in an order other than that implied by the
source code.  Does this suggest that (X)HTML need be
extended to accommodate a third class of list, in which
both sequence number and text are explicitly specified,
rather along the lines of a <DL> but with different implied
default presentation rules ?

Philip Taylor, RHBNC