Re: FW: OL needs the start attribute

From: Bertilo Wennergren <bertilow@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:19:33 +0200
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>

Peter Foti (PeterF):

> An Ordered List is a series of items in a sequence, a recurrent
> linear pattern.  In the example given, 3/3a/4 represent 3 items
> in a linear pattern (with 3 being first, 3a being second, and 4
> being third).  The problem is that a numbering system does not
> exist that contains these values.  My view is that the
> displaying of 3/3a/4 is presentational and should be handled by
> CSS.

If it's just presentational, then it should be perfectly OK if the
details of the presentation suggested are ignored. The page should work
just fine without any CSS.

If the details of the numbering are essential, and the document would
suffer if those details are not presented exactly as whished, then they
are part of the content, and should be specified directly in the content.

>  My suggestion would be to allow user defined

> list-style-type in CSS, where a set of values would represent
> some numbering system.  In this case, the values of that user
> defined type would be "1 2 3 3a 4 5 6" ( and so on ).

If it's in CSS then it's just eye-candy. Eye-candy is OK, but then you
should be able to live with a totally different presentation and a
totally different numbering scheme.

--
Bertilo Wennergren <bertilow@gmx.net> <http://www.bertilow.com>