RE: OL needs the start attribute

From: Sampo Syreeni <decoy@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 23:28:29 +0300 (EEST)
To: "Peter Foti (PeterF)" <PeterF@SystolicNetworks.com>
Cc: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>

On 2002-10-16, Peter Foti (PeterF) uttered to 'www-html@w3.org':

>Another example could be the descending list (as was already mentioned)
>using a step attribute.

I the example isn't relevant in the least. On unordered list is just that,
a list where the items can be arbitrarily reordered without changing the
semantics. In essence, it is a bag of items. The ordered list is the
opposite, a list which cannot be reordered. I.e. a list. In the latter,
there is no implication of ascent or descent, just order which cannot be
changed. The convention of showing an ordered list with ascending numbers
is just one convention, and there is no essential reason why an ordered
list should be labelled with a sequence of markings possessing an implicit
linear order, like the normal ways of marking an ordered list do. Hence,
no start attribute, no increments, but multiple CSS styles which control
the precise rendering of the list.
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - mailto:decoy@iki.fi, tel:+358-50-5756111