RE: <q> vs. <quote>, naming etc.

From: Jelks Cabaniss <jelks@jelks.nu>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 15:50:23 -0400
To: <www-html@w3.org>

Tantek Çelik wrote:

> > [Aside: Opera and Mozilla do support the HTML 4 way of
> > default styling of at least single-depth <q>'s quote marks.
> > I don't know about MacIE,
>
> IE5/Mac has supported <q> with any depth quote marks across
> languages (as best as our research could do - which isn't
> too bad for English/European languages) since March 2000.
>
> > but with WinIE you *cannot* style <q> even yourself, because
> > its developers apparently don't believe in :before & :after
> > content.  Do you know if this situation will change?]
>
> Neither IE5/Mac nor IE6/Windows supports :before or :after
> content.  I cannot comment on whether this situation will
> change and when.

You say IE5/Mac supports <q> quoting, then you say it does NOT support
:before or :after.  Those two statements seem to contradict each other,
at least in light of what the CSS2 Rec says as to how to do this:

    /* Specify pairs of quotes for two levels in two
       languages */
    Q:lang(en) { quotes: '"' '"' "'" "'" }
    Q:lang(no) { quotes: "«" "»" "<" ">" }

    /* Insert quotes before and after Q element
       content */
    Q:before { content: open-quote }
    Q:after  { content: close-quote }

Are you saying IE5/Mac ignores author styling of <q>, and just does it
through a hard-wired UA mechanism?

/Jelks