Re: XFrames - Resurrected Zombies? (was: Comments on HLink)

Steven Pemberton wrote:
> "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>:
>
>>I agree with this... I don't see how XFrames particularly help with
>>search engines really. It does make it easier for them to return
>>results to framesets, but that seems to be all.
>

> "That's all"? That's already quite a lot. Search engines cannot currently
> return pages in the context that they are designed in. So you get a page
> with a lot of context missing. XFrames allows them to return the page in the
> context you would normally see it in.
>
> It doesn't help search engines *find* results, it helps them *return* them.

Yes, but how does the search engine determine the *best* frame set to
return? In some cases the single page by itself might be better, and
there might be different framesets referencing the  page you want. Also,
this brings up a possible problem of search engine spamming -- instead
of getting theone relevant result that is that page, suddenly I might
get ten different framesets which reference that page, thus making it
even harder to find what I actually want. IMO, frames should be dropped
fully.
--
Lach
Web: http://illuminosity.net/